Buy Now Buy Now *mycrysis-interstitial-content*
  • Author
  • Subject: Windows 8 crash on original crysis

Hey everyone,
    this is my first post so any replies are welcome.
    I was wondering if anyone had got the original game up and running properly since upgrading to windows 8?
    I just built a new system
    MB; GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
    CPU; i7 3770
    GPU; 7870
    16gb of ram 10600(I think)
    And obviously Windows 8 (not pro yet)

Anyway it installed fine and ran well for about 5 minutes till I actually stepped onto the island after the skydive. Then it just crashed and I had to reset the computer to get back onto any other applications. same thing happened next time.
    I ended up messing around trying to install some DX updates and such and now it simply crashes the whole system.

Any ideas? Ive spent several hours installing stuff have I just missed something?
    I hate the fact I cant test out my new system with crysis :( its been the go to for years.
    29 Nov 2012, 03:36
  • 29 Nov 2012, 03:56
  • 29 Nov 2012, 15:08
  • Subject: Re: Windows 8 crash on original crysis

You also tried combining the compatibility modes with running the game in Admin mode?

BTW, if you are using Origin, go into Origin's options and select "disable origin in-game".

Also try running the game directly from the executables in either the Bin32 folder or the Bin64 folder (try both).
    29 Nov 2012, 15:24

Bin 32 64 crash the whole system.
    It's not origin it the original DVD
    I can only perform compatibility tests how do you actually change the compatibility mode before you run as administrator?
    It's not in properties for the app.
    29 Nov 2012, 15:53
  • 29 Nov 2012, 15:55
  • 29 Nov 2012, 15:56

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

When you do so, make sure to delete all user files (including the savegames in your Documents).

Also update your drivers for everything, particularily the video card drivers.

If after all that it still doesn't work, download furmark and do a 20 minutes Burn In test to see whether your video card might be malfunctioning.
    29 Nov 2012, 20:29

Do other games work now that you did some DX tinkering?

The first thing I would suggest is that the driver and DX/VC++ gutting. Nuke it all, and run DriverSweeper.

On my Win8 test box (still running the RC not the actual released OS), I can get Crysis to launch (but I'm using Steam and on an Nvidia card), so I think it's likely a funky fubared driver/DX/VC++ issue.
    30 Nov 2012, 01:05

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll try everything you suggested. I may just wipe everything from the system and dual boot 7 and 8 on it.
    I'll update you if I actually get it working on 8. I would hope its not the drivers since I have only the newest ones on a new system.
    Tbh I've not tried anything else on it been too busy. Except Rome total war. I'll download shogun and metro from steam and give them a blast.
    01 Dec 2012, 16:33

ESRB Video Game Rating

This title is rated Mature for:

• Blood
  • Partial Nudity
  • Strong Langague
  • Violence