Buy Now Buy Now *mycrysis-interstitial-content*
  • Author
  • 06 Dec 2011, 03:03
  • 06 Dec 2011, 06:43
  • Subject: Re: Is Frostbite 2 better than cryengine 3

NANOPROv2 wrote:Hi everyone, I know you must all be a little butthurt, but while cryengine is amazing, frostbite 2 can indeed acheive much more, and DOES produce better graphics. At least Battlefield 3 on a good PC, has better graphics than cryengine. Before you start spamming me, the graphics are better, but not by THAT much at all. Battlefield 3 is currently THE BEST GRAPHIC GAME TO DATE, and that's a fact, ask anyone( who isn't on this site, 'cause they like crysis, so obviously they'll defend it) and they'll agree. The only real graphical advantage, isn't really grapghics related, but in battlefield 3, you can't see your own shadow. Crytek will have to make another new engine to reclaim their title as the king of graphics. And remember, I love crysis just as much as anyone else here. (well except for it's few bugs, or at least the few bugs I have) But cryengine MIGHT have better lighting...

So there's still something fundamentally wrong with your argument: you're trying to tell me something based on aesthetic appeal which is subject to personal opinion AND at the the same time your proof is: "ask anyone, and they'll agree." This is worse than the original post.

GTFO
    06 Dec 2011, 06:44

SDub is right, as always. Most of you guys try to compare game engines based primarily on the aesthetics of certain games; let me remind you that "quality" of such engines doesn't begin and end with the visuals it's able to produce. There are things like performance, optimization, scalability, ease of deployment, toolchain and editors available, mod support and last but not least, licenses, fees and terms of use. Making comparisons based on art direction and personal taste is irrelevant.

And no, I have no idea which engine is superior.
    06 Dec 2011, 07:51

atm, it is only possible to analyze the cryengine. Simply because there we got parts of the sdk and an editor.

Personally I like the look (and gameplay) of crysis2 more. I will give bf3 a second chance today, but it feels like i wasted already 120 hours...
    06 Dec 2011, 08:45

NANOPROv2 wrote:Hi everyone, I know you must all be a little butthurt, but while cryengine is amazing, frostbite 2 can indeed acheive much more, and DOES produce better graphics. At least Battlefield 3 on a good PC, has better graphics than cryengine. Before you start spamming me, the graphics are better, but not by THAT much at all. Battlefield 3 is currently THE BEST GRAPHIC GAME TO DATE, and that's a fact, ask anyone( who isn't on this site, 'cause they like crysis, so obviously they'll defend it) and they'll agree. The only real graphical advantage, isn't really grapghics related, but in battlefield 3, you can't see your own shadow. Crytek will have to make another new engine to reclaim their title as the king of graphics. And remember, I love crysis just as much as anyone else here. (well except for it's few bugs, or at least the few bugs I have) But cryengine MIGHT have better lighting...

He is right. First of all even IGN says that Battlefield 3 is the crysis of 2011.Plus none of you have used frostbite 2 just because DICE advertises about the game and not the engine and crytek advertises about both without using both we are coming to the true potential. Thats why i have said dont compare the true potential untill you have used both the engines
    06 Dec 2011, 16:40

Thanks Bearded Mosquito!

anirocks263 wrote:He is right. First of all even IGN says that Battlefield 3 is the crysis of 2011.Plus none of you have used frostbite 2 just because DICE advertises about the game and not the engine and crytek advertises about both without using both we are coming to the true potential. Thats why i have said dont compare the true potential untill you have used both the engines

1. Crysis 2, is the Crysis of 2011, not sure if you realized but Crysis 2 was released in 2011.
    2. You haven't used Frosbite 2 either, so you're only once again comparing what the game looks like in regards to personal opinion, which is something you cannot quantitatively measure.

BeardedMosquito had an awesome comprehensive list of things you can actually compare.
    06 Dec 2011, 20:51

What the point in bitching which engine is better and which is worser.Both engines are awesome in their own right.Cry engine may be technically superior than frostbite engine since it uses full dx11 goodies.But crysis2 is a bad showcase of this engine's true capability.Engine was hold back becoz crysis2 is console port at its root while bf3 inspite of not using tessellation looks absolutely stunning becoz its a pc game not a shitty console port.Cry engine may look better than frostbite engine if some developers uses it to make pc only game but currently bf3 graphics smokes crysis2 in every aspect.Except water rendering.

And OP there is no point in starting a thread like this asking such a subjective question in a forum where 90% guys are cry engine fanboys.If you start a thread in bf3 forums telling cry engine is better than frostbite it will not take long before people start bashing you left and right.
    06 Dec 2011, 21:37

lemme ask ya'll this:
    If Crytek were given unlimited access to Frostbite2 and told there would be a prize of a zillion dollars to make Crysis 2 Ultra on it(same looks & same feel) you think it could be done? IMO - no
    If DICE were given the same challenge, to make BF3 using the CryEngine3 you think that could be done? IMO - chit of course.
    06 Dec 2011, 21:56

We haven't seen the full potential of the CryEngine 3 yet, so things might change in the future.
    Technically and (I think) in every aspect except graphics the CryEngine is better.
    But it is difficult to form an opinion when I haven't worked with Frostbite 2 yet (and I won't do this in the future, because they don't offer a free SDK) ;)

Imo CE3 wins, but that's just my opinion.
    06 Dec 2011, 21:59

ESRB Video Game Rating

This title is rated Mature for:

• Blood
  • Partial Nudity
  • Strong Langague
  • Violence