Buy Now Buy Now *mycrysis-interstitial-content*
  • Author
  • Subject: PLEASE OFFER SUPPORT FOR 120HZ monitors!

It seems like all the Crysis game do not offer support for 120Hz monitors. The FPS will go to 120Fps but the engine seems to lock my monitor at 60Hz

CryEngine 1: In Crysis 1 the workaround was to press "Alt+ Enter" in the menu and that unlocked the engine and it ran at 120Hz.

CryEngine 2: In Crysis 2 the workaround was to have an Nvidia Card (i had 2 GTX570's in Sli) then go to the Driver panel and Force "Highest available refresh rate". This unlocked the Engine and it ran at 120Hz. If you have an AMD card you are out of luck because there is no way to force 120Hz (i think, i've searched for many days)

CryEngine 3:
    same lock apparently.

when crysis 1 lauched this wasn't an issue because 120Hz LCD monitors didn't exists, Crysis 2 they were afew on the market and they had just started gaining some ground, now Crysis 3 and 120Hz monitors are very prevalent and a game with such a heavy emphasis on Graphics MUST have this option.
    02 Nov 2012, 10:12
  • 02 Nov 2012, 10:27
  • Subject: Re: PLEASE OFFER SUPPORT FOR 120HZ monitors!

Zuvial wrote:Tried turning off vSync completely from drivers and disabling it ingame? It's almost always tied to vSync.

Thanks for the suggestion but this doesn't involve V-sync.

Vsync only unlocks the FPS but not the Refresh Rate (Hz)

the game WILL run at 120+ Fps without any issues but it will NOT run at 120Hz

It will run what ever FPS your GPU can manage at 60hz and 60hz only.

This means that the screen is refreshing the image 60 times a second and not 120 times a second which is what a 120hz monitor is made for (and costs a heck of alot more for too)
    02 Nov 2012, 10:36

No game can take control of the monitor's refresh rate. Period. As long as you have set the refresh rate in nVidia Control Panel to 120hz and set the 3D settings to "Use highest available refresh rate", the game can't change that.
    02 Nov 2012, 10:49

Zuvial wrote:No game can take control of the monitor's refresh rate. Period. As long as you have set the refresh rate in nVidia Control Panel to 120hz and set the 3D settings to "Use highest available refresh rate", the game can't change that.

well some override it. Crysis Games do just that.

I wouldn't be here asking for a solution to a made up problem.
    02 Nov 2012, 11:55
  • 03 Nov 2012, 01:55

Zuvial wrote:No game can take control of the monitor's refresh rate. Period. As long as you have set the refresh rate in nVidia Control Panel to 120hz and set the 3D settings to "Use highest available refresh rate", the game can't change that.

Yeah that isn't correct, at all.. Cryengine 2 and 3 have a bug if you have it in DX10 for Crysis 1 and use HDMI it will lower your refresh rate to the next lowest set variable. Crysis 2 does the exact same except if you use DX11.
    03 Nov 2012, 01:57
  • 03 Nov 2012, 05:01
  • 03 Nov 2012, 07:05

I have a problem where I have to have stereoscopic 3D enabled in order to get 120Hz in-game. Once I'm at the graphics options menu I turn off 3D and the frame rate goes up from 60 to 120Hz. Note that I do have a 3D monitor.

jdb2
    04 Nov 2012, 22:39

ESRB Video Game Rating

This title is rated Mature for:

• Blood
  • Partial Nudity
  • Strong Langague
  • Violence